Sunday, July 5, 2009

One of those people who had an impact


 

      A few nights ago I was doing rounds and in talking with a nurse about her assignment saw a name on a chart.  I laughed and said "that was the name of the principle of my middle school, what a coincidence!"  She stated "she is a retired principle so maybe that's her".  Being 3 am I didn't think it was a great idea to check and figured I'd go back first thing in the morning.  As usual though I forgot in the excitement of getting off work and my bed calling me!!


 


    I was then off for 3 nights so figured I missed my opportunity to check and see if it was the same person.  But hoping I hadn't I head up to that floor last night to check.  Sure enough, she is no longer in the census.  Still hoping I check and sure enough she had been moved to another floor.  I head down there and poke my head in. 


 


    I politely say her name "hello Mrs. Johnson"  (because you would never think of calling her by her first name) "Were you by chance the principle of Tyler Middle School?  "Why yes I was.  What is your name?" She asks.  I tell her my maiden name.  "Oh yes, I remember you."  She says.  In my head I'm thinking yeah right she remembers me since I was a kid who never got in trouble, but then after talking for a few she asks about how my brother is doing....guess she does remember me since I hadn't mentioned him at that point!!!


 


    Then I tell her what an impact she has had on my life.  Many of the life's lessons that I learned at Tyler I still remember to this day.  Walk on the right side of the hall, don't walk by a piece of trash without picking it up, be respectful & courteous, don't chew gum in school.  These were the major rules there.  I still walk on the right side and you know when I'm at the mall etc it makes it so much easier and when people don't it is so hard to get around and I'm worried my small children will get trampled especially around the holidays.  I still pick up trash around the hospital.  It makes for such a cleaner place to work and therefor more enjoyable.  Plus it's just good for the environment.  Being respectful and courteous..........do I really need to explain that one???  :-) 


 


    As to the gum chewing....I never understood that one.  And actually that was the only detention I ever got in all my days of school.  Darn it I was going to chew gum!!!  So, I asked her about it.  And she explained that it was her little war that helped us learn about bigger wars.  Basically that in life there will always be a war to fight and that we needed to learn that there will always be someone higher up than you telling you what to do so you might as well get used to it early in life.  You can either fight it or learn to give up on the smaller stuff and get along.  Not a bad lesson in my opinion! 


 


    I told her what an impact she still has on me all these years later and she was blown away.  She was so happy to hear it.  We talked about my job and all the teaching etc I do now.  She told me that even though I had never directly taken care of her she could tell by my actions in our conversation what a good nurse and a good person I am.  It was nice to hear.  Maybe I'll stop in an see her again tonite!


No comments:

My Playlist